Who Am I?

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
When I started this blog, I was living in Houston. Now my family and I live in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. My blog is to serve many purposes. One to tell everyone what is going on with us in the way only I can tell. Another is for me to vent out my feelings. In other words, this is just my humble view of my world.

September 18, 2010

Red Cab or Blue Cab?

At first glance, this is a very simple choice. I picked blue! What’s the difference you ask? Blue cabs are newer and cleaner. They always use the meter and they are readily available at most of the hotels nearby. So what is the problem if the answer is so incredibly clear? They charge double the normal rate. You are paying for the cleanliness. Not a huge deal if you don’t use them often, but without a vehicle, we have used a cab a couple times a day. Thankfully we have friends here to help us understand the customs and when we are getting ripped off. So the red cabs became far more appealing. The problem is they are shady! Half the time they tell you the meter isn’t working and give you a price instead. You try to tell them no you want the meter, but they just argue with you. It is usually an inflated rate and they are pocketing it since it is not an official cab ride. Oh yeah, and they STINK! When your 4 year old is asking you what stinks as you are trying to get this cab driver to be honest and put the meter on…well it is a fun time for sure! The other day, Tony and I went out to a shopping center via cab. We took a blue cab from the hotel and it cost us $30RM. To get back, we waited in line at the taxi stand and the guard for the shopping center hailed a cab for us. The first cab was a red one and told us the meter was broke. He said he would get us back for $30RM because the traffic was backed up. I said no and he told me ok, he would use the meter plus $5RM. I said no again and the guard shut the door for me and hailed the next cab. He was a red cab too and was honest. Put the meter on and helped Tony get the stroller in the back. I tried to tip the guard since he was so helpful and nice, but he refused to take it. Our cab ride back cost us $10.50RM and the cab didn’t smell bad!
Moral of this story, pick the red cabs, but be prepared to check a couple cabs before you find one that you will actually get into for a ride.

1 comment: